One of the forgotten gems from the Galaxy’s Greatest Comic™,Mazeworld is a perfect slice of fantasy adventure.
Adam Cadman is the first man to be hanged in Britain since 1964,but just as he drops through the trap door of the gallows to his death,he awakens to find himself in a bizarre world of Amazonian women,evil villains,monsters,mysteries and most of all mazes!
Still wearing the condemned hood and rope around his neck,which cannot be removed,he meets local rebels who wish to overthrow the tyrant Maze-Lord Maskul.
Legends tell of the Hooded One who guarded the first Emperor and bore a striking resemblance to Adam ,can the condemned man overcome his dark past and convince the downtrodden people of Mazeworld he is the reincarnation of this hero and lead them in revolt against the evil Maskul?
- The Dark Man(Progs1101-10,1Jul-2Sep’98).
- The Hell Maze(Progs1151-60,7Jul-8Sep’99).
Daily Zenith Cover-BO2KAD#110/Titan Book 3:Steve Yeowell.
- Best Of 2000AD Monthly#110(1Nov’94):Phase II:The Hollow Land(1-13).
- Zenith Book 3(Titan):Phase II:The Hollow Land Pt.2(Progs597-606,27Aug-24Dec’88)
- Grant Morrison(w).Steve Yeowell(a).
I’ve been a little remiss with the Forum Art Comp. from last month(May’13),so let’s rectify that by posting up the worthy winners!
The theme was:design your own Search/Destroy agent(Strontium Dog),so in reverse order:
- Tharg’s Choice:John Thomas Malden by Stewart Davies(SKD)
3.Third Place:Embryo-Head Ernie and Deadhead Dave!by Darren Stephens(dikiminster).
2.Second Place:Strontium Fox and The Hounds-Steven Denton
1.First Place:Heroes of the New West-Jon Taylor
Congratulations to all the winners,and of course Mr.Owen Watts-Forum Art Regulator droid!
From This Week…35 Years Ago:Prog 66(27May’78)
Fascinating and somewhat amusing look from 1993 at the early career of some of the biggest names in comicdom,including the biggest of all-Tharg the Mighty!
- Obviously this guy needs no introduction(although we have updated his slightly embarrassing profile photo!)and perhaps his tastes may have varied a little,but this exalted alien still edits the Galaxy’s Greatest Comic every week-some things never change!
- Art droid Brett Ewins was responsible for developing some of 2000AD’s best-loved characters,also creating Bad Company and 1990’s pop culture phenomenon,the magazine Deadline.
- Script droid Mark Millar wrote many early ’90s series including Big Dave,Canon Fodder,Maniac Five and Red Razors,going on to pen such big name US titles as Kick Ass,Wanted and Marvel’s Ultimates.
- Script droid Grant Morrison like Millar cut his teeth on the Galaxy’s Greatest Comic,writing dozens of Future Shocks and one-offs,as well as Big Dave,Really and Truly,Janus Psi-Division and the outstanding Zenith.Morrison is now one of the most sought-after authors in comics,as well as crafting The Invisibles and The Filth he is also regular scribe for the World’s Greatest Detectiveand the Man Of Steel!
- Art droid Greg Staples is another 2000AD success story,having drawn some stunning series in the weekly Prog,including Judge Dredd,Slaine,Tales of Telguuth and others.However,Staples is now best known for his dazzling covers and concept art.
(Click on profiles for a larger image)
The late John Hicklenton(1967-2010)perfectly contrasts the forces of Order and Chaos represented by the Grand Master of Termight,Torquemada and leader of Credo,alien freedom fighter,Nemesis the Warlock.
From Nemesis the Warlock(Book IX):Deathbringer(Progs586-608,6Aug’88-7Jan’89)
Brilliant variant cover by graphic artist James Biggie for August’s Judge Dredd #10 from IDW:
“The Cursed Earth, Pt. 2”—Judge Dredd, along with his multi-eyed precog mutie companion Dannn, fight venture through the Cursed Earth in pursuit of the renegade droids who stole the only thing that can save Mega-City One. Horrific obstacles stand in their way… but none more horrific than the worst backwoods criminal posse ever to set foot on irradiated soil:the Angel Gang! When these longtime fan-favorite villains make their U.S. debut, you’d better make sure your dial is set to “brutal”…
Written by regular scribe Duane Swierczynski
• Nelson Daniel (series cover artist)
FC • 32 pages • $3.99